Friday, March 27, 2009

Bonus deals

Now six weeks out from surgery, I am finally able to say most of the worst is behind me. My energy and appetite are almost back to normal and the pain is mostly gone. There are also a few nice surprises that came with this experience.

One bonus development has been to be freed of my caffeine addiction. It used to be that my first act of the day was to pour a cup of coffee, which had been conveniently programmed the night before to brew about the time my bedside alarm clock was beeping. Going without coffee in the morning guaranteed a nasty headache later in the day, which would only be relieved by caffeine.

Several days in the hospital of not being able to take anything my mouth, combined with enough painkillers to handle more than a caffeine headache, saw to it that I no longer need or even want that cup of coffee in the morning. Some days I go for a cup of tea instead but just as often I can get rolling now without any caffeine.

I have also learned to relax more easily. Taking time in the middle of a day to read, or even to watch television at night, has been a challenge for me. It always seemed there was something else I just had to do before I could allow myself to relax. Being in a position of not being able to do much more than read showed me that the world wouldn't come to an end if some of those other things didn't get done until later.

Today is my last day of sick leave before heading back to the office on Monday. There are lots of things that could use my attention, but I am determined to hold onto my new-found ability to relax one more day. Rest is good for the body and the soul!

1 comment:

Kathy Dwyer said...

So glad to hear the news! I hope you are still able to keep up the rest as you head back for work.