Saturday, January 31, 2009

Powered by love

Sometime last year before Cancer 2.0 invaded my life, my son finally persuaded me to begin reading the Harry Potter books. They have been a great diversion, and I have tried to stretch out the enjoyment by limiting myself to a chapter a night. Ben tracks my progress and had warned me, when I reported what chapter I had just finished in book six, that I would have trouble not going on to the next chapter.

He was right.

Ben also was on the mark that these books offer metaphors for just about every challenge we face on our life's journeys. I was especially struck by how nicely the lesson served up in last night's second, irresistible chapter fits my current battle. Harry's mentor, Dumbledore, was stressing the importance of the distinctive advantage Harry would always have over his nemesis, Voldemort. It is the same armament I have against this Disease That Must Not Be Named.

The secret weapon is love.

As long as we reach out to others in love and let their love flow back to us, we have the power to face any foe. Love has been and will continue to be a great source of strength for me in my current battle.

No comments: