Friday, April 3, 2009

Agreeable work

It's a rainy Friday morning and plenty of people are pulling the covers up over their heads right now; ready for the weekend and wishing they could sleep in rather than finishing out the work week. I've been there, too, but my experience this week has shown me how much I am actually energized by my work.

My game plan was to ease back into it this week by working half days. Instead, the only day I was able to limit myself to four hours in the office was the day I had to leave early for a follow-up appointment with my oncologist. I didn't feel like I was pushing myself too hard the other days. It was a welcome break to think about other matters. I could forget about cancer for a while, and I did.

A call from the OSU oncologist yesterday morning pulled me back to reality with a gentle scolding that I needed to make progress on my quest for a second opinion regarding follow-up treatment to try to keep the cancer from returning. Now I am waiting for a call from Houston that will put me and Tom on a plane to learn what sarcoma experts at a cancer center there think we should do next.

I know I can't pretend just yet that February's surgery removed all my cancer concerns, but it has been nice this week to have other things to think about for a while.

No comments: