Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Heading home

What was supposed to be a five-day trip was accomplished in one. Tom and I are flying home this morning after the doctor we met at M.D. Anderson' Sarcoma Center told us my presence was no longer needed. Sarcoma experts here in Houston will study my case and get a follow-up treatment recommendation to me within two weeks.

Short as it was, we feel good about this trip. The Houston medical personnel seem highly competent. Chemo looks more likely now, but also a bit less scary. I better understand the need for it to be inpatient to ensure good hydration. I am also comforted to hear from the Houston doctor that the University of Michigan, where my two Columbus oncologists have conferred with colleagues on my care, is also a respected sarcoma center, just not as experienced as Houston.

The bonus with this trip was the Houston warmth and sunshine. That makes it harder to head back to Columbus' chilly rain, but it will still be good to be home.

No comments: