Thursday, April 9, 2009

Hi Grandma!

My Cancer 2.0 journey since September has exposed me to a lot of great medical technology but nothing compares to what I saw yesterday. On a video screen in an obstetrician's office, my first grandchild waved to me!

The image was grainy and fleeting, but the physician confidently interpreted the greeting for me and my daughter, pointing out the right hand alongside the face of my grandson, who is due to make his grand entrance in mid-July. We watched his heart beat, examined his toes, admired his nicely shaped head and smiled proudly as the doctor noted he has long leg bones that predict he will take after his 6-foot-plus father and grandfather.

The doctor knew what a treat it was for me to share this sneak preview. She is herself a new, first-time grandma. I had seen her for my annual gynecological checkup a few weeks ago and she was saddened to learn of my recent illness. I think she invited me to accompany Mandy for a yesterday's ultrasound exam as a get-well gift. It was the best one I have received so far!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Aww, this is very sweet! Thank you for being there for both of us! Love you!