Friday, April 10, 2009

Houston bound

The call I've been anticipating came yesterday. My appointment to get a second opinion from the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center on follow-up treatment starts Monday. It is impressive that they responded so quickly to the request I initiated just a week ago. I just hope their physicians can agree better than those I have seen in Columbus.

The radiation oncologist I saw earlier this week recommends a course of radiation over the entire area of my abdomen where the tumor had been. That should keep it from coming back in that vicinity, he said, but would not prevent a recurrence elsewhere. Given the entrails that occupy that neighborhood, the treatment would likely produce nausea and diarrhea, he said, in addition to the usual fatigue.

Even more disturbing, the radiation oncologist said seeing two different types of sarcoma in one tumor was not unusual. It was just a matter of one stem type differentiating in two directions, he said casually, shaking my confidence in the medical oncologist who said he had never seen that occur and giving me even more reason not to jump at the medical oncologist's request to hospitalize me for heavy-duty chemo. The chemo-pushing medical oncologist had urged me to keep the appointment with the second doc this week, even though he didn't think the radiation oncologist would recommend radiation at all, since the margins around where the tumor was removed were clean.

So far, this quest for a decision regarding follow-up care has me feeling like the OSU docs are various hammers who see me as their own special nail. I hope the doctors in Houston -- where I'm told they have the only dedicated sarcoma center of any of the major cancer hospitals in the country -- do a better job of conferring with each other to reach a consensus for the best plan to keep me healthy. Even better if their plan would be to keep a watchful eye and forgo more treatment just now.

3 comments:

Kathy Dwyer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy Dwyer said...

I am thrilled to see you getting the insight from the docs in Houston! Know that you will be wrapped in prayer on the way.

Chanda Dicke said...

Once again, and always, you are in my prayers Mary. Another opinion can never hurt!