Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Son shine

I woke up to a wonderful message this morning. My son arrived safely at my sister's Mississippi Gulf Coast home after a long solo drive to begin what I hope will be a great new chapter in his life.

Ben had been living at home while finishing up his last year to earn an English degree at OSU. We enjoyed his company but shared his conviction that he needed to get away to explore career options. This move should help him figure out if he'd like to follow his Uncle Jim in the food and beverage industry, or maybe he will gather material for some future novel.

His e-mail confirmation of his arrival was filled with joy and possibility, putting a smile on my face to start the day. It will take some time to get used to not having him here but I look forward to hearing that his hopes for this move are being realized. I know his Aunt Joy-Joy and Uncle Jim will be great role models.

Now I have another good incentive to get through whatever follow-up treatment I need and be well enough afterward to travel. Tom and I have to get down to Biloxi in a few months to see for ourselves that Ben is doing great.

No comments: