Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Muse or snooze?

Approaching eight weeks post-surgery, I am amazed at the recovery I have enjoyed so far. I have energy to get through most days easily and any lingering pain in my abdomen is almost an afterthought. As I rise up out of bed using stomach muscles that I so recently had to protect from stress, I have toyed with the thought of trying a couple of crunches. I'm not quite there, but close.

I'm almost all the way back to the level of functioning that I want to be at, and I am thankful that it has taken less time than I might have guessed.

My final concession to recuperation has been sleep. It is important to rest, I keep reminding myself. So the alarm clock has not been set quite so early; leaving more time in the morning to capture dreams, less time to share dreams in this blog. Soon I will be writing again every morning, starting the day with the mental exercise that has become as important to me as a good physical workout once was. And maybe then I will even get back to the gym!

No comments: