Thursday, April 16, 2009

Marking time

Thursdays have become my new touch point.

The farther out I get from my surgery on February 12, the more healing I see, and the more amazed I am at the miracle of the human body. Today marks nine weeks since my tumor was removed, and I can't believe how little is left in terms of physical reminders.

There is the long scar dividing my abdomen. It will always be there, both as a blessing that the tumor was excised and as a cancer trophy. It bothers me less all the time. On Monday, it did not prevent me from sun bathing in Houston in a two-piece bathing suit. Knowing I was not the only cancer patient at the hotel encouraged me both to bare my scar and to go wigless to the pool, showing off my Jamie Lee Curtis-style without a care.

Just a month ago, I was concerned that fatigue and lingering pain would hamper my planned return to work after six weeks' recuperation. Now I feel almost on par with my pre-surgery energy level, maybe even my pre-tumor condition! Heartened by my progress to this point, the logical next step would appear to be some strength training to tone my leg and upper body muscles.

Can golf be far behind?

1 comment:

Kathy Dwyer said...

Tears of happiness are rolling down my face as I read this. What a great way to start the day. Welcome home, and happy Thursday!