Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Merry Christmas!

There is something very calming about Christmas Eve if you let it be. In the days and weeks leading up to Christmas, to-do lists are long and the temptation is to keep adding to them. The prevalent thinking is: I still have time to do this, go there, buy that.

By Christmas Eve, it's time to accept reality. Some things won't get done. Some presents won't get bought. Some items will not be checked off the list. The early gift we can give ourselves is to be OK with that and to turn our attention to what will happen on Christmas. Families will be together. Hugs, kisses and love will be shared generously. Good cheer, good food and good wishes will abound.

Earlier this fall, I wasn't sure what capacity I would have to enjoy Christmas this year. On darker days, I questioned whether I would be well enough to participate much at all. Now I am looking forward to a Christmas that will be richer in blessings than any I have known before. It won't be about presents under the tree but about the presence of more love and support than I knew I had when this year began.

In this recessed economy, many have been forced to make do with less. My prayer is that creates more opportunity for all of us to be thankful for the gifts of family, friends, love, support and good health. Merry Christmas to all!

No comments: