Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Perspective

One of my favorite strategies for dealing with a challenge is to picture being on the other side of it. I have employed that focus for things as trivial as getting through the frantic holiday rush. Ah, I would think, how wonderful it will be to get to the day after Christmas, when I can slow down and relax. How nice, I tell myself, to get through that big presentation or to have finally dealt with a thorny workplace issue.

I probably started picturing today at far back as six years ago, when I began the first of two three-year terms on the governing body for my church. Saying my goodbyes last night after these past two years as president was surprisingly sad. Looking back, I realized I had learned a lot about leadership, and service, and about myself. But finally being done with that commitment, finally being on the other side of monthly meetings for six years, was a bit less satisfying than I had imagined.

My son reaches a similar milestone today, when he will take his last final exam as a college undergraduate. He told me last week as he finished up classes that he thought he would be sadder at this point but instead is excited about the new challenges ahead of him.

How wise! Now Ben has me pondering a new strategy. Rather than just focusing on getting on to the other side of successful cancer treatment, on just getting on with life after Cancer 2.0, how much more envigorating to welcome the next big challenge.

No comments: