Sunday, November 2, 2008

Balancing act

One of my challenges is finding the right balance between taking good care of myself and doing what I am capable of doing. That's probably true for anyone in any circumstance, but health issues certainly magnify the quest for balance.

Before Cancer 2.0 stepped into my path, I was pretty nonstop -- starting most weekdays with 6 a.m. workouts, putting in long days at work with occasional evening meetings, filling weekends and other free time with household, family and church obligations. I was fine with that, but now I see my schedule was controlling me instead of the other way around.

An acquaintance who speaks from the experience of her own serious health challenge a few years ago warned she would be watching to see that I give myself the time and attention I need to heal. It was good advice, and I am trying to heed it.

Still, when I am feeling good, I struggle to know the best course. Should I head back to the gym and try a little workout? Should I set the alarm to get into the office early or let my body tell me when it's time to get up? Should I accept more evening invitations -- both work-related and personal? Should I continue doing and going until I tire, or should I call more preventive timeouts?

It is foreign to baby myself, and I don't want to swing too far in that direction. The balance I seek is between treating this cancer fight seriously and not turning my life over to it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mary--Pam forwarded your blog---for which I am grateful

I'll be staying up with your posts-
you have always been quite proficient at the balancing act of life---and do it with grace,humor and tenacity---this will be no different. Hope you know I am rooting you on and praying for you-Darcy