Sunday, November 30, 2008

Anticipation

On this last day of the month, I look forward to December for the many gifts and joyous celebrations I believe it will bring. I am thinking not just of Christmas, although that is at the top of the list, but also of continued progress in this cancer fight.

My oncologist has said he will soon order new scans to confirm our visual observations that the tumor is shrinking. I am anxious to have that medical confirmation, although there are always unbidden fears of the unknown. Whenever doubts surface, my strategy to banish them is to say a quick prayer for strength and remind myself of all the love and positive energy that surround me.

Occasions to celebrate this last month of the year also include Ben's graduation, Tom's birthday, other family birthdays and several gatherings of friends for holiday cheer. None of us can deny the widespread economic troubles that color these days, but I am grateful for how the recession has curbed our tendencies toward frantic excess. As we all realize what truly matters most, I look forward to the upcoming celebrations with family and friends more expectantly than I have in years.

No comments: