Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thankful

I hate to jump the gun, but I can't wait until Thanksgiving to express how blessed I am feeling this morning.

The sun is shining, the Buckeyes were victorious over Michigan, and the tumor in my abdomen is getting smaller. My high spirits might also have something to do with a good night's sleep. I think chemotherapy has a way of helping the body rest when that's what it needs most.

The success I am feeling with my treatment so far is starting to expand my horizon. Instead of focusing on getting to the point of being able to undergo surgery, my outlook is getting longer. What new goals can I set for myself after I recover from the surgery? It is exhilerating to contemplate my life beyond Cancer 2.0.

On this morning after the Buckeyes' win, let me share some inspiration from the final chapter in Coach Tressel's "The Winners Manual for the Game of Life." The coach writes, "Purpose is a gift from God....Lasting goals are also from God, and they affect the people around us for good." I don't know yet what goals I will set for myself after I get through this fight, but I pray that they will bring good to others.

No comments: