Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Masquerade

Dressing up in costume has never held a big attraction for me, so I was more than a little self-conscious stepping out yesterday in my wig. Having worked from home on Monday, it was my first time in the wig since my hair came back 12 years ago. The nice comments I received made it bearable.

Tom's smiling assessment gave me an encouraging start. He is most familiar with my ever-thinning strands. He pronounced the wig a nice improvement. More smiles and compliments at work boosted my confidence. If there were those who shared my occasional thoughts that the wig was too fake, they nicely kept it to themselves.

I remember a program for cancer patients called "Look good, feel better" in which cosmeticians and others show women who have lost their hair -- and a measure of their self-confidence along with it -- how to put on a happier, prettier face. There is good medicine in being able to look in the mirror and not see sickness look back. The wig and I will be good buddies for the next few months.

No comments: