Monday, November 3, 2008

Hair today, gone tomorrow

You don't appreciate how much hair you have until it starts falling out. I remember that from the last time but it still surprised me yesterday when I was washing it and pulling out great clumps. I was sure there would be bald spots -- maybe lots of them -- by the time I finally got it rinsed and dried. I thought I might have to pull out my wig for church.

With wig management in mind, I called for Tom to bring the scissors and help me cut off a lot of the length. He asked me to start the cut so he would know how short to go. Then he followed it on around to the back, up the other side and across the front.

The surprise was that the new short do was thick and full!

I didn't want to pull more out by blow-drying it, so I just finger-combed it and let the natural curl have its way. I called my sister -- who has the proper hair-cutting tools and skill -- to clean up a corner of the back that Tom and I couldn't get quite right. The compliments for the new style began with Tom, my mom and sister and continued from people at church!

I hope to get another few days out of this sassy, short haircut before I have to start wearing the wig. My fantasy thought is that the hair loss will stop, now that I've taken drastic measures, as if the chemo were saying, "Just kidding! Now I'm going to go back to skrinking your lump. Enjoy the new do!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So are you saying that Tom is your new stylist? I would love to see a pic of your sassy new do if you have a chance to send one!

I am so glad you are putting all of these very personal thoughts and emotions into this blog. Reading it makes me laugh and cry at the same time, but I always feel uplifted and amazed at you and your strength and determination after reading your entries. You are such a great role model and I am so blessed to have you as an aunt.

Lots of Love,
Kris