Tuesday, January 27, 2009

All set!

I have a firm date now to get this tumor removed, and I couldn't be more ready. The OSU surgeon we met with on Friday, Dr. Melvin, will take it out on Feb. 12.

The final decision came down to different types of experience. Removing large tumors from the abdomen is apparently something that this doctor does almost routinely. This is his home court, and I am confident he will not encounter something in my gut that he hasn't seen before.

Dr. Brenda is the best there is for breast surgery, and I will always recommend her in that capacity. She has given me great care for more than 12 years. She had a good game plan for removing my tumor, but she wouldn't have the home field advantage.

I had prayed for signs to help make the right choice between two good surgeons, so I had to smile as I was driving back to work on Friday from the meeting with Dr. Melvin at his off-campus office. Something on the right side of the road caught my attention: OSU Medical Center, next exit.

Well, I thought, that is a sign. Maybe that should be my next stop. As Tom and I discussed my options over the weekend, it became clearer that the road sign was the right one to follow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mary,
It is such a blessing to know that you have a firm date with a surgeon; one to whom you were guided by the prayers of so many. Our prayers can now include Dr. Melvin and his surgical staff as we pray for your return to an active and HEALTHY lifestyle. (Even though my "pick-axe angels" may not have done the job that I envisioned for them initially, I pray they will hang around to give Dr. Melvin some additional support... :>)!

Much love and many prayers,
Annie