Sunday, January 4, 2009

Forward in faith

I recently completed an act of faith. For the past 10 years or so, I have made a calendar for my extended family of parent, siblings and in-laws. As children have come of age and moved out on their own, they have received their own copy to track birthdays, anniversaries and significant family events.

The format has changed over the years and evolved into the current Mock Flock Gazette approach. This year, instead of making up news stories about each family member during months marking their birthdays and wedding anniversaries, I created personal ads. I also invited family members to submit photos of themselves, since they haven't always been pleased with the photos I chose to commemorate their special days.

I have a lot of fun creating the calendar as I strive to capture a bit of the essence of each individual and then add a twist of humor or exaggeration. Sometimes the scenarios I paint for family members even give me the giggles. The new edition of the Gazette has been very well received, producing the smiles and laughs intended.

Creating the calendar is an act of faith because it presumes that birthdays and anniversaries will occur as scheduled; that family members will all be well and on good terms throughout the course of the next 12 months; that a nephew will go off to college and a niece will be married as planned. Just to be on the safe side, the calendar is knit together with more than a few prayers for the well-being of all who grace its pages.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mare, for your prayers for our Mock Flock as you created a MOST entertaining "Gazette" for 2009. I must admit that as I giggled my way through this year's edition, I, too, presumed that birthdays, births, weddings and anniversaries will take place as scheduled. And I realize that it takes a lot of heartfelt prayer to keep everyone on track.

My request (and my prayer) for next year's edition is to see YOU on the front cover... in perfect health, with another beautiful head of hair. (I mention the hair only because that will mean that your tumor and chemo treatments will then be a thing of the distant past.)

I know that the Gazette is a labor of love for you and we all thank you for making The Mock Flock look so good every year.

With love and prayers,
Annie