Thursday, January 22, 2009

Long and short of it

Time is such a funny commodity.

If someone had told me in September when I began this journey that I was facing five months of tests and treatment before I could rid my body of this tumor, it would have seemed interminable. Putting one foot in front of the other, with so many steps between me and my destination, would have been a huge challenge. Taking it in smaller chunks of one doctor's visit to the next, one chemo cycle at a time, sometimes one day at a time, has been so much more manageable.

Looking ahead to surgery and recovery, the time seems very short indeed. Yesterday I began plotting the tasks that will need to be accomplished while I am off work and filling in who will be covering what in my absence. Putting it on paper like that -- targeting a return to work by the end of March -- struck me as incredibly soon.

Winter will barely be over, spring just beginning. The timing couldn't be more perfect! And it will be here before I know it. Funny how time is long or short depending on what you see coming down the road.

No comments: