Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Fried, and steamed

A sad little story can now be told because it has a happy ending: I fried my wig on New Year's Eve.

Not the whole wig, but a good chunk of the bangs in front. We were engaged in our tradition of cooking a gourmet dinner with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law. I was having such a good time, I didn't even realize it had happened until I caught my reflection in a mirror a bit later in the evening.

As I looked closer in horror, I knew at once why my bangs were matted and crispy to the touch. I had opened the oven door to tend to a dish without thinking. I had forgotten about my cancer; forgotten I was wearing a synthetic wig to cover the ravages of chemo. When I came out of the bathroom in a more somber mood, my family tried to assure me it didn't look that bad, although they had wondered why my bangs suddenly looked different.

I didn't let it ruin my evening but the next day I got out the scissors. I told myself the bangs had been a bit too thick anyhow and a little thinning would be good. The trim and a new little sweep to the side let me wear the wig to work and church without attracting stares but I knew anyone who looked too close would see sizzled strands across my forehead.

An angel came to the rescue. I tracked down Brenda, who runs the shop where I got my wig 12 years ago. I hadn't confessed anything when I made my appointment for yesterday but she grinned and knew what had happened as soon as she saw me. A little steam would take care of the fried bangs, she assured me. And it did!

I came out of Brenda's shop at St. Ann's Hospital with refurbished bangs, renewed self-confidence and an order for a flippy new wig that I'll pick up next week, just so I can have a change of style once in a while. And next time I'm using the oven, I'll be more careful no matter how much fun I'm having!

1 comment:

Mandy said...

So glad to hear this happy ending! Who would've thought that more heat would fix the bangs? I'm glad you got it fixed and eager to see your new one, too.