Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Getting closer

I am closing in on a date for surgery and feeling pretty good about it.

Tom and I liked most of the answers we got yesterday from Dr. Brenda. I am keeping an appointment with an OSU surgeon on Friday just for another perspective, but my comfort level with having Dr. Brenda do the surgery has increased. Factors weighing heavily in that direction are speed and the ability to have the surgery done in Columbus, where my support network is strong. Plus, I know from experience that she is a good surgeon.

Speed is important because the tumor is being stubborn. There was a brief period in November when it did start to shrink, but now it is growing again. As it grows, so do the risks. We penciled in February 11 as the date for surgery, awaiting only my final OK. I anticipate making it official by Monday, assuming the OSU surgeon does not introduce new issues to give me pause.

The love and support that I feel all around me here is equally important. I know prayers and positive thoughts would follow me if I seek treatment out of state, but there is great power in knowing others are nearby to keep not only me but my family strong. It won't be easy for my family to wait through the four-hour surgery, but it will be better if they can do it together and with their support networks also intact.

Here's a cheery thought on this cold winter day: mid-February surgery and a six-week or so recovery period means I might be ready for golf season this year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary: You have been a heck of a trooper with this nasty chemo effort, so get this whole surgery thing over with already! I think setting your sights on spring golf is a great plan.

FYI: We played Rotary Euchre last night and your name came up at least three times. I get lots of "how's Mary" asks each Monday. I tell them all to send positive vibes and prayers your way.

May God bless you