Friday, January 16, 2009

Oh baby!

I wore my flippy new wig yesterday and received a lot of compliments on it. Some folks said it made me look younger. Too young to be a grandmother?

Yes, I said "grandmother!" My daughter is now into her second trimester and is finally comfortable with sharing the news that will soon become obvious: Mandy and Andy are expecting a baby in July!

Tom and I are thrilled, as are Mandy and Andy and the rest of the extended family. There hasn't been a baby in the family for almost five years. The excitement about this one on the way has been hard to contain, but it's been kind of nice, too, to share in the secret until Mandy was ready to let others in on the news.

I have reflected many times in recent weeks at the amazing timing of this baby, this blessing of love. Of course I have great resolve to get through my cancer treatment and return to good health. But now it's for a greater purpose; I have a grandchild coming! What more incentive can there be to beat this challenge? I can't think of any.

No comments: