Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Looking deeper

I've been thinking a lot about an important meeting coming up later this week. It may be one of the most important meetings regarding my future, but I won't be there.

The meeting is of the "tumor board" at Grant Medical Center. It may not be the kind of board its participants list on their resumes, but I am ranking it pretty high on the personal impact scale. The tumor board brings together physicians from various specialties to discuss the best course of action for particular cases. I am on the agenda for Friday morning.

Oncologists, radiologists and surgeons will look over results of the PET scan I am having tomorrow, study my medical history and offer advice about my treatment. I probably don't look that great on paper -- former breast cancer patient with new cancer diagnosis; large lump in the abdomen that came on quickly and grew rapidly; questionable response to current chemotherapy.

I want to tell them something more about me. Hey, I'm a really healthy person! I'm strong and I have a great support system. Give me your best shot!

I am reminded of the headhunter I met with more than 16 years ago when I was interviewing for my current job. He told me I didn't look that good on paper (I'd only ever been a newspaper reporter) but he understood after talking with me why I was being recommended for the job. It's like that; I want the tumor board to see more than how I look on paper.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary, All the tumor board, or anyone, would need to do to "see deeper" is take a look at your blog! Have you shared this with your docs? I think they would love to see it - they might even pass along the link to their patients as a source of support. Know that you are wrapped in prayer this week! Kathy Dwyer

Anonymous said...

Mary - I think this tumor board needs to be subject to the open meetings law!
Your post underscores how healing is closely tied to things outside the realm of medicine - things like attitude, and support, all the stuff you have an abundance of. Keep positive and the tumor won't stand a chance...Cathy

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of you today and will be sending thoughts of clarity and insight to the doctors on Friday.

Lisa Patrick

Anonymous said...

Mary:

I'll be beaming my thoughts to the board members, telling them to help this fighter fight.

-- glenn