Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What's up, doc?

Tom and I are meeting with a surgeon today, and we have a full list of questions.

We have two of these meetings set for this week to try to help decide if I can have this tumor safely removed in Columbus or whether it would be better to travel to a more specialized cancer center out of state.

I want to make sure we are asking all the questions we should. I want the doctor to lay out all the scenarios, worst case along with best case. Full disclosure being the standard, I know we will hear things we don't want to hear, but that's OK.

I remember a message from a seminar years ago about how to keep your frustrations in check. The presenter was a psychologist who specialized in helping people deal with stress. His advice was to keep your standards high but your expectations low. Then if the road ahead is difficult, well, that's what you were prepared to encounter. But if things turn out even better than you expected, it is that much sweeter.

No comments: