Friday, January 23, 2009

Just what I need

It is amazing how little spirit boosters pop up just when you need them most.

Reminders of the love and support that surround me have been abundant this week as I have faced some difficult realities of my situation. They came in the form of calls and notes from friends I hadn't heard from in a while, homemade cookies and a card of encouragement left in our mailbox, a gift symbolizing bonds of friendship delivered to my home, and hugs over lunch.

The messages touched my heart: "Stay strong," "You help give me courage," "Thinking of you," "I love your positive thoughts." How can I not stay strong and keep thinking positively when I have such encouragement?

Friends have also shared knowledge and experience that are strengthening my resolve to go ahead with the surgery in a little over two weeks from now. They are helping me see beyond the surgery to recovery and renewed good health.

From childhood Sunday school lessons and the shared faith of others, I have learned to believe God gives us what we need to face any challenge. This week has been a celebration of that belief in action.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Marv,

I cannot begin to express my admiration for you and the strength you are showing as you confront this demon once more.

You remain one of the kindest, smartest and most generous people I ever met in 35 years in the newspaper business. As I type this, I look at the wall over the table I use as a desk and there you are in three black and white 8x10 photos as a member of the Dispatch's suburban bureau writers. In the final picture, you are pregnant with Mandy.

Please send me an e-mail and let me know if there is anything -I mean anything- I can do for you or your family.

You are an exceptional person. You will get through this. I know it in my heart.

I love you -- in a platonic way, of course-- and send you all my best.

Please send me an e-mail at jeffborden51@yahoo.com.

All my best to you and your wonderful family,

Jeff Borden