Saturday, January 10, 2009

Flipped around

My oncologist surprised me yesterday by ordering a change in the order of my chemotherapy drugs in this fifth cycle. Instead of starting the cycle yesterday with the single drug, Gemzar, he called for the double dose, adding Taxotere to the regimen. The change was prompted by the doctor's office cancelling my Jan. 2 session, which should have been the first week of this cycle.

It's fine with me. I had kind of hoped anyhow that the one-week delay in treatment would shake things up a bit and maybe put this tumor on the run. I figure changing the order of the doses could contribute to better results. Funny thing is, one of the chemo nurses told me doing the double dose first, then the single dose and then a week off is their typical protocol for the drug for the drugs I'm receiving.

The doctor also ordered a positron emission tomography (PET) scan for Wednesday. He explained this scan can provide information as to the cancer activity within the tumor, rather than just measuring its dimensions. In other words, is this mass which is being stubborn about shrinking still active inside or have the cancer cells died? Results will be shared Friday with the hospital's tumor board -- a collection of various cancer experts who will help recommend the best treatment course.

I am hoping surgery is still an option. The oncologist said radiation will likely be discussed as an interim step. All prayers for good test results and then for the docs to make the best decisions are appreciated!

No comments: