Friday, January 2, 2009

Postponed

Today should have been the start of a new cycle of chemotherapy, but it has been delayed a week and I have faith it will be for the best.

On this Friday after a holiday, apparently there were no other patients in my oncologist's practice who were in the mood for treatment. Rather than have the doctor commit his day to seeing just one patient, the office scheduler asked if I would be OK with postponing. I agreed but with the condition that my treatments continue to be scheduled on Fridays. Having already tried it once, I am not willing to receive chemo on a Monday and then have a mid-week crash day. It just takes too big a bite out of the week.

When the scheduler said the doctor agreed with a week's delay, I figured something good will come from this delay. Maybe throwing the treatment off a week will throw a curve ball at the tumor. We'll lull it into thinking the chemo attack is over and then, bam! We'll hit it again! Maybe the shakeup will cause it to cry "Uncle!" and finally shrivel up and go away.

Do I have fun with my fantasies or what?

4 comments:

Michele Toney said...

Happy New Year and enjoy your Friday free from chemo!
I'm just catching up with you after a few days and was struck especially by your "to be" list. I too am trying to focus on who I want to be -- or, more importantly, who God made me to be. I'd done with beating up on myself and trying to fix what's wrong. I'm working toward that vision of what I was created to be.
Cheers to us. See you soon.
Michele

Mary Edwards said...

Hi, Mary. HNY, and I wanted to let you know I'm following you and pulling for you. Get back in there next Friday and kick it in the butt!

Anonymous said...

Hi, MARY! I hope this works this time - tried to send a message before but gee, I'm not sure what I did but it didn't work. You are in my thoughts and prayers often and I have lit candles at church for your health. Love and all positive thoughts to you and your family in this new year! V.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Mary! You're already kicking butt, girl...enjoy the day!

Cathy